Monday, November 13, 2006

Soap and Lather (Palavar?)

I was laughing with TeenSon the other day about some of the more bizarre outcomes of being brought up in a single parent family (he has given me permission to tell this story). It's been he and me since he was 2 1/2 (though he's always spent lots of time with his dad and they're very close). But anyway, I was remembering with him all those role-modelled things we learn as we grow up, and we got onto the 'learning to shave' one. One day when he was a little boy he said he wanted to shave like a grown-up so we got him a comb (a good alternative razor!) and some bubbly stuff and having filled up the sink I stood there to let him play 'shaving'. Of course I expected him to slather his face in bubbles and start scraping it off with the comb... but no! He rolled up his trousers and started doing his legs (it's hard to type and laugh at the same time you know!). Of course, that's what he'd seen mummy doing, so I stopped him and said that when he was a man he wouldn't have to shave his legs (lucky boy) but he would shave his face. So we bunged a load more bubbles there and I attempted to show him how to shave his chin with a comb! Later on, I made a point of telling daddy that next time the boy was there it might be a good idea to shave together!!
(I won't even start on 'how to pee standing up' - TeenSon said that there are some limits to blog-sharing!)

7 Comments:

At November 13, 2006 5:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, priceless. thanks for sharing, has me be smile big time :D

 
At November 14, 2006 9:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That really is fantastic, and blows all my best childhood misunderstanding stories out of the water! Thanks Chelley and TeenSon for being willing to share this beautiful picture of domesticity with us.

 
At November 14, 2006 7:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree...it brought back many memories!

Best Wishes,

SV

 
At November 15, 2006 11:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very funny!

 
At November 15, 2006 2:55 pm, Blogger Majic said...

What a heart-warming tale - really made me chuckle.

PS Feel very guilty - been out of circulation for a while, and have missed so many of your blogs! :0
Will endeavour to 'catch up'asap.

 
At November 15, 2006 6:10 pm, Blogger Jan said...

As the single mom of a young son, I can really appreciate this. What a hoot! Gee, I wish you could get into that whole pee-while-standing-up thing. I'm struggling with this one with my toddler son!

 
At November 16, 2006 12:08 am, Blogger Sally said...

so good that you can look back and smile!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home