Monday, November 20, 2006

A Sense of Wonder

The conversation in the comments of my last post here reminded me of a sermon I heard - probably about 10 years ago! Now, despite my 'profession', I hardly ever remember sermons - perhaps enough to apply at the time (I'd like to think) what has spoken to me from a message, but not enough to be able to re-tell someone else what was said. But on this particular occassion, which was at a confirmation service, the Bishop who was preaching spoke about the sense of wonder that children have for the world around them - that they can delight in things like puddles and mud, among many other things; and he went on to say that it's so important that adults too should try not to lose their sense of wonder. And I think that the singing-at-the-top-of-your-voice-in-the-car conversation reflects a similar ability - keeping a hold on joy. I think both of these things - maintaining our sense of wonder, and keeping a hold on joy can be worked on by us, but they're also fruit of the Holy Spirit (that is, outcomes of the presence of God's Spirit in our lives) and as such, I reckon he must delight in seeing evidence of them. So, I'm certainly not going to 'grow-up' and stop enjoying myself - even if the result is a bunch of raised eyebrows from other 'sensible' adults!

8 Comments:

At November 20, 2006 2:45 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Great advice!

 
At November 20, 2006 5:01 pm, Blogger Deb said...

I am a sing-loud-in-the-car person too... my kids are always saying "mom.... turn it down... please???"

Life is too short not to live it out loud! ;)

deb

 
At November 20, 2006 6:04 pm, Blogger Gannet Girl said...

De-lurking to say: growing up is vastly overrated ~

 
At November 21, 2006 12:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LAAAA LAAA LAAAA

I can't hear you, singing too loud!

WHat?

Happy Delurkey!

 
At November 21, 2006 2:00 am, Blogger the good enough mother said...

Oh no! I'm singing the song that never ends..it goes on and on, my friend.
Happy Delurking week. (o)

 
At November 21, 2006 11:49 pm, Blogger LutheranChik said...

Happy Delurking Week!

Another vehicle-singer weighing in. It's another affirmation that Life is Good.

 
At November 23, 2006 12:07 pm, Blogger Majic said...

You are so right. Never let go of your 'inner child' because you reach a certain age and think you ought to. Even though I'm 40, and prefer 'comfy shoes', and high-rise waistbands, I still jump in puddles in my wellies, walk along walls and kerbs with my daughter, skip because it's fun, and always sing in the car,(and the supermarket!. People look at me as though I'm a loony sometimes, but I don't care. I might have to be a grown-up in the ways that matter, but I'll never stop believing in Father Christmas...

 
At November 23, 2006 12:46 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

We will be driving away from our usual surroundings and going back in time in my husband's life, to sea and shore and old family stories. Thanks for this inspiration to find childlike wonder in God's world today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home