Thursday, July 06, 2006

Oh look... It's Thursday Again!

My day off has come round again in its most welcome fashion! Unfortunately the list of things to do is pretty similar to that of last week... except perhaps for all that filing which I did manage to get done. Anyway, this week I will be accompanied in my tasks by Doctor Who, having bought a couple of the DVDs yesterday! I didn't think I'd ever allow another to bump Tom Baker off the 'Top Doctor' spot... but David Tennant has done it! Most of us give away our age by stating an allegiance to one Doctor Who or another - usually declaring favourite the one we grew up with, and for me it was Tom Baker's daleks and other assorted foe who sent me behind the settee with a cushion over my face!
Anything that gets the jobs done faster with minimized boredom is welcome in my book, and perhaps then I can do the kinds of things that I'd love to spend my day off doing. I mentioned a few last week and today I'll add 'reading' to that list - reading for inspiration that is. I love to read anything that increases my vision and prods me again to strive towards being and doing the best that I can be. I love to read the life stories of other Christian ministers who have gone before me - honest accounts that allow their imperfections to remain, but that recall faithful journeys with God - John Wesley, Charles Simeon, Trevor Huddleston, Robert Runcie - have all been on my book list recently. And it's not only the ordained who inspire (far from it!)... on Tuesday I had the privilege of being on a Diocesan study day and heard David Ford, Regius Professor of Divinity at Cambridge speaking - no dry academia there, but animated and studied insights into how we can speak about God in our day, in our society and in friendship with those with whom we may disagree (I believe that the content is to be posted on the diocesan website, so if and when it appears, I'll post a link). There have been many others too, who having heard or read them, leave you wanting to make a difference too - not in today's big, loud, famous ways... but in ways according to your own particular gifts - in speaking, in serving, in loving, in standing alongside - in sharing with others what God has shared with us.
Hmm, that's what I'd like to be doing on my day off... sitting in a delightfully clean and tidy house reading and reflecting on lives that inspire me so that I get on with tomorrow slightly re-envisioned. Unfortunately 'delightfully clean and tidy' doesn't happen of its own accord (oh to be Mary Poppins and just click my fingers!) so I'd better go and put Doctor Who back on in the kitchen and get on with it!

PS... However a day is filled, I always try and end it by stopping to read - even if it's just a few pages in bed before the book falls with a crash to the floor... and all the pages are mangled!!

2 Comments:

At July 09, 2006 6:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Chelley,

I do know what you mean about wanting to be Mary Poppins! Did you get it all done?

Best Wishes,

SV

 
At July 11, 2006 6:25 pm, Blogger City Slicker said...

Very funny imagery, you need a broomstick
Good writong
Keep it up
Cityslicker
http://cityslicker1.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home