Saturday, June 03, 2006

Liverpool Street Station

Well, I'll begin with a confession... I love Liverpool Street Station! I have lived all my life somewhere or other on the Liverpool Street line - and am currently the furthest south on the line that I've been (the farthest away being when we lived in Cambridge for a couple of years). From Cambridge it's actually much quicker to get into London by going straight into King's Cross (both lines go from there) but KC just can't compare!
Maybe it's because (as I said) from my earliest expeditions into London, we went into LS - all those years ago it didn't look as it does now. I have only vague memories of how it used to be, but I know it wasn't as big and 'glossy' as it is now! And there were the teen years of shopping trips and late night concerts - of missing the last train home - wasn't there once a milk train you could catch? I love the familiarity, and the bustle, of the station; I like the variety of life in the bit of London in which it sits; and I like to watch the world go by from my favourite little vantage point (of course, I should have had a nice cup of tea sitting in front of me...!):




I even love the roof! Perhaps you have a slightly bizarre favourite place too? Liverpool Street has been one of those places with a part in many eras of my life, and of it I will always be very fond!

5 Comments:

At June 04, 2006 3:36 pm, Blogger Jag said...

I love Liverpool Street Station too. Much better than Kings Cross by miles too. And the roof, as you say, is excellent - always has a cosy railway station atmosphere in there.

 
At June 04, 2006 7:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle,

I can totally understand this but would never think of putting it into my blog...

Thanks and keep posting, you're one of the best!

Best Wishes,

SV

 
At June 10, 2006 12:48 pm, Blogger Sally said...

wonderful, those photos brought back memories, all my journies take me into Kings Cross these days!

 
At June 26, 2006 11:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kings Cross used to be my station. I went back a couple of years ago and with my kids took the train to Edinburgh. Course all they did was talk about Harry Potter and platform 9 3/4 lol

 
At June 27, 2006 9:54 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must admit that on one visit to Kings Cross (probably during that time living in Cambridge, on an occassion where I chose speed 'KC' over beloved station 'LS') me and TeenSon spent a while taking stupid photos on platform 9 3/4! Unfortunately there are only so many pictures you can take jumping at a brick wall before the bruises start to show (only joking!). Dare I say that I'm not actually a huge fan of Harry Potter but when I read the first book the 'hidden platform' stuff did appeal!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home