Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Inspirational Fiction

I've spoken before about things (and people) that inspire me, and I once came to the conclusion that they don't have to be real, or factual, to inspire. Often fiction inspires too - inspires us to fulfill our potential, inspires us to rebel against the self-centredness of the modern world, inspires us to attempt to change the world one person and one moment at a time. Yes, fiction can sometimes be far-fetched, but sometimes we need the dreams of fiction to expand and inspire our vision.
So which fictional creation inspires me to look for, and strive towards, something a little different...? 'Due South'! I love this 'Canadian Mountie meets Chicago cop' series - not only is it well written, highly entertaining and has an excellent sound track, but Mountie Benton Fraser (fictional creation though he may be) in my view, lives something of the sort of life and reflects the kind of values that Jesus intended for those who follow him! That is, service, compassion, sacrifice, love, going the extra mile. I don't come anywhere near - but I certainly want to keep trying.
I have been watching the first series again on DVD and have loved seeing someone do everything that's unexpected in today's cynical and often uncaring society. Fraser, when he moves to Chicago from Canada, lives in an undesirable neighbourhood but looks beyond the ugliness and instead values the people among whom he lives. There are some classic moments in the Pilot episode... On arrivial in Chicago (moments here have a similar feel to Crocodile Dundee arriving in America!) he is approached by a man at the airport asking for money for his sick daughter. Having got the man's assurance of his intention to pay Fraser back in a week, he takes from under his wonderful Mountie hat, a $100 bill. "Ha you sucker" we think to ourselves as the shocked bloke goes off with the money - that's the last you've seen of that. But right at the end of the episode we see the same man return to the Canadian Consulate (where Fraser works) to pay back the money. We're all aware of how many dodgy and unscrupulous characters there are out in the 'big bad world', but there are also some very needy ones too - and I for one would like to choose sometimes being a fool over never making an effort to help. Isn't that what Jesus had in mind when he said, "...'I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.' Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?' And the king will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these... you did it to me.'"
Due South might be thoroughly fictional and idealistic, but it seems to reflect these sentiments pretty closely to me, and I see something appealing that I'd like to apply in some small measure to my own life. My rebellious nature now loves to stick two fingers up at what we've come to expect of the world and of each other, and to try and make just a little difference!
Due South helps me to do that increasingly stated concept of 'thinking outside the box'! Love it!

2 Comments:

At May 24, 2006 9:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

Great to have you back in the Blogworld - especially with this post! It's really great, and very inspiring!

Best Wishes,

SV

 
At May 24, 2006 10:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks SV! Yep, it's been a quiet week for me in blogworld, so it's good to get such a positive comment to my post. :) Think I'll just go and watch another episode...!
All the best,
Michelle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home