Friday, May 05, 2006

Reflective Moments

Well, it's my birthday again today! I still enjoy my birthday - even though the numbers are rolling in thick and fast!! I find it's a day when I stop and think a little on what I've done with the years that have already passed, and what I'll do with the ones to come. And that thinking on the years relates to many things, not just activity, but on whether I've made a little difference to other lives, whether I've taken time to be still and enjoy the beauty of the world around me, whether I've had time to be with the people I most love. I stop and wonder about my comparitively new role as a Church of England curate (assistant vicar) having had only one birthday as a deacon and now this one, the first as a priest.
My 36 years (well what's the harm in actually saying it!) have been rich and varied, and despite the rather impressive messes and mistakes that are part of my picture, there has always been a desire to make a little difference! I don't know how many birthdays there are to come, but I'll go on trusting that God is leading me along this well worn path, and I'll go on living in the hope that one day I hear those words, "Well done, good and faithful servant."
I'm still feeling my way into ordained ministry and what I have to offer to, and receive from, God's church and beyond - still finding my voice - but I appreciate stumbling across gems such as this that inspire and help me on my way. (Thanks to Dave for the link that led me to Rev Sam's notes).
And in the mean time - back to the business at hand... cards, pressies, cake (gluten free of course!!), friends, fun... oh yes, and a sermon to write for Sunday!

An aside (well isn't there always!): It is Michael Palin's birthday today too. Happy Birthday Michael!

3 Comments:

At May 05, 2006 12:06 pm, Blogger Dave Walker said...

Happy birthday!

 
At May 05, 2006 9:58 pm, Blogger will smama said...

Happy Birthday!

 
At May 07, 2006 12:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you both! I've spent an energetic evening co-running Youth Club and am now waiting for a Chinese take-away to be delivered. (What a way to spend your birthday - finished the evening with rubber-gloved hand down the church hall toilets fishing out handtowels that the girls had stuffed down there!!).
[comment left 10.10pm on 5th May despite what time it says here - I wanted to edit it for spelling and the only way is to delete and re-post. Well there's a bit of pointless info for you anyway!]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home