Sunday, September 02, 2007

Expanding my mind...

Right, my reading list now consists of Freud, Plato's Republic and the Roman historians Tacitus and Seutonius - from the comments here; plus Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy, Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples and Sophie's World (which I've read and thought was excellent) - suggested by a shipmate. The fact that I only have Plato's Republic on my bookshelf* (though I've never read it) means it's quite likely I'll start with that one - but it also means I'll get on with joining the local library here sooner rather than later. It also seems fairly likely that anything I don't understand in any of the first selection of tomes will be directed in question form to the relevant blog of the suggestors! ;-)

*Well it would be on the bookshelf if it wasn't still in one of the boxes!

2 Comments:

At September 03, 2007 12:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your library doesn't have Suetonius, you could just watch some old videos/DVDs of I Claudius for which Suetonius is the primary source.

 
At September 03, 2007 1:45 pm, Blogger Kathryn said...

What about some 19th century English novels...they'll be an easier read
and Bleak House is possibly my favourite book of all time. You may have done those, of course...I'm not so hot on philosophy and the ancients.
Ooh...There was the "Books to read before you die" thing at GB...that would be a good list to work through too.
Hope you're feeling as if you might actually live in New Town by now...and that the 6th form college has come through.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home