Thursday, January 25, 2007

I have decided...

...to teach myself Latin! I have these mad moments sometimes! It's been brewing for quite a while and the spur came from two entirely different directions. There's all that Latin we come across in everyday life (well, as long as your everyday life has some awareness of football mottos!). I am a Spurs supporter (have I mentioned that at all!) and so 'Audere est Facere' (To Dare is to Do) has been a part of my conciousness for as long as I can remember (never known how to say it properly... but still). Aside from that though - there are those little Latin phrases that get bandied about, and which go sweeping merrily over my head. Nil desperandum! See, I've learnt something already, and this deficiency will soon be resolved.
And then there's the churchy Latin. I'm pretty familiar with Gloria in Excelsis Deo and the names of various parts of the liturgy, but filling in a few of the gaping holes in my knowledge would be very useful in my line of business!
So, I have bought myself 'The Cambridge Latin Course' Books I and II; as well as 'Amo, Amas, Amat... and all that' which has the delightful sub-title How to become a Latin Lover'. We had quite an amusing moment yesterday though when TeenSon came into the study and saw that book on the desk... 'How to become a Latin Lover' he read, "Eh! What's all that about then!" I did explain and put his disturbed mind at rest!

2 Comments:

At January 25, 2007 8:42 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chelley , meus carus amicus , Spero vos successio in vestri quest pro linguistic enlightenment - I cheated & used http://www.translation-guide.com/free_online_translators.php?from=English&to=Latin !! Alls fair ect ect

 
At January 26, 2007 8:10 am, Blogger The Birdwatcher said...

Good luck! I took Latin to O'level at school,along long time ago! A couple of years ago I decided to learn it again. I did not get very far, but decided a few weeks ago to try again. I am using Wilding's Latin Course for Schools.its not like riding a bike, nothing came flooding back. I am a little more determined this time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home